Monday, July 9, 2007

Someone Else's Turn

This past month I have been a frequent flier - not on the airlines but to the doctor's office. I wish you could get bonus points for it because I would have accumulated enough to go on a very, very long trip somewhere that has adequate health care, just in case I need to earn even more points. The antibiotics for a sinus infection led to an abscess on my chin that conveniently decided to make its appearance while I was on vacation in NY. It is next to impossible to find a doctor around here so I have been forced to resort to ER visits. For example, I called to see about making an appointment for a sinus infection & told them all of my symptoms & the lady asked if I could wait 3-4 weeks...enough said.

I am one of the lucky ones to have semi-decent insurance. After all of these medical bills are said & done I might tell you otherwise. Part of the Americorps experience is living at the poverty level of those you serve. However, most of these people do not have or can not afford insurance. It is tough enough to make the copays for each of these visits much less paying the full price for someone to spend 30 seconds in 'consultation' with you. I now have a better idea of how people are forced to choose between seeking medical attention and putting food on the table for their families.

This is just another example of how this experience has taught me something outside of my 9-5 work. The lessons I have learned extend far beyond the office where on work on a day-to-day basis. Many of these are indescribable & will last me for the rest of my life...unlike this abscess I hope.

It is now someone else's turn as I am taking myself out of medical rotation...at least until the end of this month!

No comments: